New Music Friday - Chvrches return!
Sep. 26th, 2026 01:24 amIf you were in the party of people that was excited about the CHVRCHES teaser that dropped last week, your wishes have been granted. A lyric video for their new song, "Roses" came out this week. It's moody and good and made me so excited for what they've got up their sleeves in the near future. Hopefully more to come soon.
I don't know if before I took my break from New Music posts, I introduced folks to Spencer Sutherland, but if not it was a HUGE oversight on my part. If you're a fan of dramatic pop, theater kids, a voice like Freddie Mercury, an androgenously dressed man, Spencer's your guy. This isn't brand, brand new, but this video is recent for one of his newer songs, "Somebody's Gonna Love Me". Basically if you're a fan of Queen or like ELO, you'll most likely like Spencer.
Last year a friend of mine that I introduced to Spencer's music when to see him live in concert with me here in Kansas City, and boy howdy does this man know how to make an entrance. It was an incredibly fun show.
Lastly let me share this awesome bluesy, kinda country rock band with a black front man, Ghost Hounds. Their new song "Pale Horse" is simple, but this video is aesthetic as fuck. He's got a wonderful soulful voice but with a bit of that gritty country twang. If you want some toe-tapping for the day death approaches, this is your song.
I figured I'd carry on the theme of women empowerment songs with amazingly aesthetic and slightly (or more than slightly) sapphic videos. This week's is the Brazilian artist Alexia Evellyn's Stand In Your Power
Last one, I had to actually edit this post because I loved it so much I needed to share. Wé Ani has been making some really powerful soulful ballads and this one for Burn that Bridge is amazing.
What were you listening to this week? Anything new? Old? Anything on repeat?
I don't know if before I took my break from New Music posts, I introduced folks to Spencer Sutherland, but if not it was a HUGE oversight on my part. If you're a fan of dramatic pop, theater kids, a voice like Freddie Mercury, an androgenously dressed man, Spencer's your guy. This isn't brand, brand new, but this video is recent for one of his newer songs, "Somebody's Gonna Love Me". Basically if you're a fan of Queen or like ELO, you'll most likely like Spencer.
Last year a friend of mine that I introduced to Spencer's music when to see him live in concert with me here in Kansas City, and boy howdy does this man know how to make an entrance. It was an incredibly fun show.
Lastly let me share this awesome bluesy, kinda country rock band with a black front man, Ghost Hounds. Their new song "Pale Horse" is simple, but this video is aesthetic as fuck. He's got a wonderful soulful voice but with a bit of that gritty country twang. If you want some toe-tapping for the day death approaches, this is your song.
Honorable Mentions:
Not a song -- But, if you're a fan of the band The Warning (you should be - sisters from Mexico in a metal band! and they're very good), they were recently on an episode of Last Meals. It's a good watch if you like those kinds of interview shows.
I'm also going to cheat a little and share this live video from one of my absolute new favorite bands of the last two years, Boys Go to Jupiter. They're are such young, fun rock band and watching their live performances is always a good time. They're still making a name for themselves so I might not get to see them any time soon, but I really hope they get a big break soon. Anyway, watch Tiltawhirl.I figured I'd carry on the theme of women empowerment songs with amazingly aesthetic and slightly (or more than slightly) sapphic videos. This week's is the Brazilian artist Alexia Evellyn's Stand In Your Power
Last one, I had to actually edit this post because I loved it so much I needed to share. Wé Ani has been making some really powerful soulful ballads and this one for Burn that Bridge is amazing.
What were you listening to this week? Anything new? Old? Anything on repeat?
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:23 am (UTC)I've enjoyed listening to Chvrches before, and bought one of their albums,
but it's been a year or two years since I last listened to them.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 04:40 pm (UTC)Kenny Chesney's Shot Glass is such a Nate Ford (Leverage) song that we decided that on first listen.
I really enjoyed hearing Snap! in my new releases with "Colour of Love (Studio B)".
"Fire" by Mike Mostert and Eric Gales hit all the right notes (lol) for me.
Still absolutely amused that Life house, a band I don't mind but doesn't stand out to me hit it for me with "Always Somewhere Close".
And then Deep Blue Something popped up with a wonderful Halloween single called "Who Put Bella in the Witch Elm?".
Asia released "Arcadia" and I am uncertain if this is a re-release or an actual new song, because Asia songs have a vibe I love but can't necessarily remember, if that makes sense.
(we're going to ignore me feeling ancient because Triumph released an album of bootlegs covering 50 years for them)
Fuel surprised me with a new single called "Bad at Love" that I enjoyed.
And to wrap up this week's new releases, I loved State of Mine with Willy Blaze and the Bad News Crew covering "Set Fire to the Rain".